Friday, August 14, 2009

From The Archives: Volume 1

So. When I first got into television professionally two years ago I tried to blog. I fell behind quickly and only wrote sporadically however I felt it might be informative to share some of those early posts here. I'll add one every few days. There were only seven in two years so it won't take long. Enjoy.

Volume 1 Monday June 11, 2007

I didn't initially plan on doing anything like this but after this weekend I've decided that I'm going to keep a sort of running diary about my experiences as a telivision professional...So here goes...On Saturday June 9 I worked my first solo shift and it was many things...exciting, interesting, boring at times and in the end it helped me realize once again why I wanted to be in television, specifically the news.It was also sad...I broke our biggest story...and the one that dominated the weekend at about 5:45 that morning...What was the story? A teenage boy died Saturday at approximately 5:30 in a horrific single car accident in Spokane Valley...one other was in serious condition and her life will probably never be the same. That's the case for the six others in the car... The driver had been drinking and will likely go to jail for vehicular homicide...those other 5 will live with their decisions that night and the knowledge that it just as easily could have been them laying on the ground dying.It all happened so fast Saturday morning that it took awhile to sink in for me. I spent the majority of my day at work talking, writing, thinking about and rehashing the end of someones life. I was quite the cynic that morning and now I feel a bit morally ambiguous about my thoughts...I won't say it but the darkest things you think people in the news say are probably comparable to what I was thinking...Heck the saying is if it bleeds it leads...Talk about the truth hitting you in the face.So all this leaves me wondering how I'll react next time...will I shy away from that hard story about death? I hope not. Will I treat it with a little more respect and caring? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment